Tuesday 6 March 2012

GPs in charge of chaos in the NHS

I've posted before on the matter of NHS Walk-In Centres being closed in the UK, now I've experienced it for myself. Unusually I've come down with a cold which has migrated into a chest infection. For the first time in 15 years I've phoned my local GP Practice to ask for an appointment to see my GP so I can get a dose of antibiotics to knock this infection on the head. No appointments for 3 days, even then that would be with a locum doctor. GPs should not be allowed to hold the NHS purse strings.

What do they expect - should I let the infection progress until I end up in A&E?  There used to be a Walk-In Centre in the locality managed by experienced nurses where I could be seen fairly promptly, but that has been closed, the next nearest WIC closed a couple of months ago.

I'm going back to bed and hope that my body can deal with the infection. I've contributed money to the NHS all my life, and now when I need their assistance I've been let down. Nice one Andrew Lansley! He is so keen to listen to the well paid GPs and let the Walk-In Centres slide into oblivion.

No comments:

Post a Comment